Background

This is a guide to a hit and miss, handy-man, swimming pool conversion to acquaponics set up. I thought I'd write this up so others thinking of doing the same thing could see what might work and what might not.

This project began around the middle of the 2010 calender year after my neighbour handed me one of 48 Barramundi he had harvested from his standardised acquaponics set up next door.

Not long after the government announced severe water restrictions, after a winter of virtually no rain, and keen vegetable growers like myself faced the prospect of having to pull up our gardens over the summer.

An aquaponics system seemed like a way to solve a number of issues - including what to do with your swimming pool when the kids have left home and it gets little use. How to water your vegetables in the face of severe water restrictions, and how to afford fish when the cost keeps skyrocketing.

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Grow Beds - external October 2010

Previous to the introduction of the aquaponics system I had a productive vegetable garden of approximately 60 square metres. The idea of the aquaponics is to compensate for a loss of much of this garden in the summer months when water is scarce. Initially I looked at building my own beds but given my work commitments and 'lets get it done' attitude, I settled on ready made beds. I sourced one from a local pool manufacturer and two other units from the local supplier ' backyard aquaponics. Both units were made from stabilised PVC but the beds purchased from 'Backyard aquaponics' (BA) were much sturdier.

The cheaper unit was to be positioned just above pool height inside the pool enclosure whilst the larger grow beds from 'BA' were to be housed on the old vegetable garden site and raised for easier access.  The old vegetable garden site is approximately 6 metres from the pool edge and I had to run the piping under the pool fence and paving.

The drainage from these three units would return via a common exit line out the existing pool ducts.

That was the original plan, but there were a couple of hiccups!






Excavation and piping for the first in line
grow bed - cheapie from 'Tank Master'





Raised grow beds courtesy of
'Backyard Aquaponics' with in-ground Tomatoes
( on drippers) planted to reduce their visual impact.






No comments:

Post a Comment